Self-care gets a bad rap because, too often, it’s synonymous with self- centered and self-indulgent activities. Or it conjures up images of people lying around all day, doing nothing.
But you’re a mom.
You never get to lie around.
You barely get to sit down!
So let me be perfectly clear about what I mean when I use the phrase self-care. Real self-care isn’t selfishness; it’s stewardship. It’s taking care of what you’ve been given.
Empty, exhausted, and in need of repair is not a good platform for effective parenting.
That’s why it’s essential that you steward your body and mind, so you can take better care of your family.
In order to do that you must become aware of your energy drainers and gainers. They are unique to your design. If your best friend or husband is a different personality type (and usually they are), they probably aren’t be drained by these stressors like you are. It’s not likely they will be energized by these self-care acts like you will either.
Don’t worry, nothing is wrong with you. You have been created in a distinctive way, not only in what you have to offer, but in what you need to connect well.
Top 6 Energy Drainers:
- Isolation. When you are cut off from others, you wither.
- Not Being Liked. When your son doesn’t like you or your mother-in-law disapproves of you, it hurts.
- Being Excluded. Uninvited, rejected, left all by your lonesome. Brutal.
- Inability to Express Self. Any environment that doesn’t allow you to talk is less than ideal.
- Precision. When absolute accuracy matters, it stresses you out.
- Negativity. Debby Downers are not your cup of tea.
Top 5 Energy Gainers:
- Conversation. Find someone to talk to and “pray without ceasing” (1 Thessalonians 5:17).
- Exercise. Burn off your overload of energy with a fitness routine.
- Fun. With a more subdued energy than the other types, it’s imperative that you get the rest you need.
- Variety. New activities, new places, new things-they spice up your life.
- People. If your kiddos are little, they don’t count. You need adult time.
Sweet Connecter, treat yo’self.
When you do, you will be stewarding the life you’ve been given so that you can better steward those under your care.
For more information check out the Connecter ebook or What’s Your Mom Type?: Discovering God’s Design for You.
OTHER AUTHENTIC PERSONALITY TYPES
There are four Authentic Personality Types:
Doers: Motivators who direct, dominate, and get stuff done.
Stabilizers: Peace-lovers who comfort, calm, and listen.
Improvers: Thinkers who prepare, plan, and perfect.
Learn more about the energy gainers and drainers of each and every type. This way you can understand the triggers of others and help them back up.